Friday, June 3, 2011

The Plane Ride: EWR to MSP

Getting out of Newark, NJ (NYC area airport) is always a pain. A big one. It usually involves waiting at the airport for an hour longer than planned, sitting on the tar with my plane the back of some 10 plane line, and an annoying regional jet (2 X 2) seat that is uncomfortable. 

BUT since I’m not allowed to use any electronics after the door closes, I get to know the people sitting next to me. This week, I set next to Kay (name changed), a VP of a small engineering firm out of Denver. She has one of those interesting life stories – grew up in central Minnesota surrounded by a huge German family. Her mother and grandmother are completely fluent in German, sad thing is that she doesn’t know any. We chatted about her job and her travels abroad. Her work relocated her to London for a year and she told me a story of her colleagues there. “When I arrived, everyone made fun my Minnesota accent. They told me that I needed to learn proper English – queens English. When I left, they presented me with a plaque announcing that I was fluent in queens English and now I can fake an English accent.” Funniest thing is that her husband took a year long sabbatical and just traveled everywhere with her - so he had a 12 month vacation in Europe while she worked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment